The Youth Select Committee, pictured above with Rt. Hon. John Bercow, Speaker of the House of Commons (centre).
The Youth Select Committee is a pilot initiative run by the British Youth Council – the charity that runs the UK Youth Parliament – supporting young people to hold inquires into issues they care about to influence policies and legislation.
The Committee’s current mandate comes from issues prioritised by members of the British Youth Council and UK Youth Parliament as well as national poll of 65,000 young people. This issue is young people and public transport and the challenges faced by young people in its accessing services, travelling safely and affording them equally.
Over the past few months, the Youth Select Committee invited written evidence submissions and requested views on the following issues:
- What is young people’s experiences of public travel is within their local area and their overall satisfaction with their current service including availability, feeling safe and cleanness?
- The affordability of fares for all young people (children and students) regardless where they live.
- The effectiveness of current concessionary fares schemes and local regional initiatives across the UK to enable (young people’s aged 18 and under) to access use of services and opportunities, such as education, training or leisure facilities.
- The accessibility and availability of transports services for disabled young people and those that live in rural communities.
- The current training public transport staff receive in regards to young people and their needs as a customer.
- Recommendations on a code of practice for youth using public transport.
- Which low carbon approaches are being used locally to enable young people to travel.
The MYPs taking part in the Youth Select Committee are:
CHANTE JOSEPH (15) - MYP for Brent
BENJAMIN FARNES (16) – MYP for Hampshire
GABRIELLE OHLSEN (17) – MYP for Honiton, Tiverton and East Devon
Watch the Youth Select Committee LIVE
Committee proceedings will be shown on BBC Democracy Live website. Hansard transcripts of the evidence will also be available shortly after each session.
Find out more…
- Find out who’s on the youth select committee
- View the timeline for the first inquiry
- Contact the Youth Select Committee